Friday, January 16, 2009

Where is the Unity in Community

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
John 13:34-35

Where is the Unity in Community? I am not talking about the larger form of community, I am talking specifically about the church community, the body of Christ, the local meeting of believers. Is it really a stretch to expect something different within the church than what would be typically found outside the church. I'm going to tip my hand and give you a glimpse of my conclusion... Yes, I believe we can expect something different.

When a new person comes into the church, what should they expect to see? Here is what I think. I think that people should walk in and be totally struck by the love that the church members have for one another. They should see people communicating on a much deeper level than what they would see outside the church. They should see real and genuine concern, one member to another. We in the church need to set aside who we are and simply remember who He is and remember that our relationship (one member to another) is based on Him and not upon our likes and dislikes. We need to set aside our own prejudices, look beyond the visible and look for the recognizable life of Christ in the people we attend church with. This should be more than enough to bridge the gap that divides us.

We have to learn to have grace for one another, because we will say stupid things, we will do stupid things and we will be careless. Grace should allow us to say... "Hey, that person may have said something I don't like... but they don't mean it in a malicious manner". Most people don't intend to offend us, they are simply being who they are and we need to have a place in our hearts that allow them that freedom.

The reality is that I may not have enough in common with you, that I would plan my next vacation to spend it with you, but that shouldn't stop me from being able to give you a genuine hug and to be able to tell you that I love you and that you matter to me. If we can't find a way to love each other, how are we ever going to be able to love the lost one who comes through the front door.

Lets put on our thick skin and learn to get along with one another. Lets pray that God will give us love for one another (I don't think we can fake this... it is really something that God WILL do, if we ask Him). Join me in meeting one new person this next week... look for the Love of God in this new person and pray that God will allow a special place for them in your heart. Go out of your way to make them feel welcome (even if they have been there longer than you) and special, don't expect anything in return, but know that God will be well pleased with you. You have nothing to lose, but a bother or sister to gain!

2 comments:

Skeller said...

Aw, Lonnie. This post brought tears to my eyes. Yes, this is what the body of Christ is supposed to be.

Keith said...

What a fantastic word brother. I will accept this challenge.