Saturday, January 17, 2009

What can we learn from chronic pain?

First I want it to be extremely clear that I am not writing this to draw attention to myself or my condition, I am simply sharing some thoughts that I am having. Once again I see that the Lord uses our circumstances to teach us and the following is my way of processing what He is showing me.

I'm not sure that chronic physical pain is all that much different from other chronic pain, whether it be mental or spiritual. I have seen chronic pain from both sides, as an observer and as the one experiencing the pain.

I know that as an observer I have had times when I have grown weary of those complaining about whatever condition they were facing, I would simply want them to get over it and not spend so much time complaining. Yes, I fully realize now and may regret my transparency that my reaction was fully based upon selfishness. My selfishness blinded me from being able to see the real need behind they constant talk about their condition.

As a person who has has chronic pain for a while (not nearly as long as some), I understand why people talk about their hurting... They talk about it, because they don't know what else to do. Medicine and therapy can can accomplish a lot, but it usually entails some kind of pain killer or mind numbing agent and relying on those kinds of things, is no real way to live.

It is true that we may not be able to bring total relief to those who are hurting, but you know what, we can simply listen, stand beside them and we can do what Jesus did, we can pray for them. We need to realize that these folks have no desire to remain in the pain that they are facing day after day and most of them would be willing to do anything to get rid of the pain that they have. I have often said that I would cut off my arm to make the pain stop.

We as followers of Christ (maybe this message only applies to me)need to learn about real compassion, not some made up, self-empowered form of caring. I'm convinced that what people need to see in us can only come from God. I often think about what it would be like to really look into the face of Jesus and what His eyes would say to us, without Him even saying a word. I have been blessed to see this in a few other people, that when I look into their face, that I see love, honesty and total acceptance. I may never get there, but that's what I'm praying for.

Where does that leave us, what can we learn from chronic pain? Maybe very little, maybe a whole lot, if nothing else it proved to be a jumping off point for a short discussion of real God empowered compassion. If we can find ourselves empowered by God, with real compassion, the community in which we live wouldn't stand a chance against the changes that would come.

No comments: